Tuesday, July 13, 2010

School of Seven Bells...My New Bloody Valentine



Shoegazers, hold your breath. The new release from School of Seven Bells, Disconnect From Desire, will satisfy your craving for a disconnect from the current "indie" scene. I dare you to try and not lose yourself in the pulsing electronic beats of the first half of the album, or the more lingering tunes in the latter half.

Disconnect doesn't dawdle in introducing you to the ten new tracks from the New York threesome. The opening track, "Windstorm," was my first listen to SVIIB's new venture courtesy of KCRW's Mourning Becomes Eclectic. Maybe it's just me, but this song couldn't have come at a more appropriate time. It just screams SUMMER to me (you'll find I like to categorize my music by seasons). From there the album meanders into driving 80's synths and beats on "Heart Is Strange" and "Dust Devil" that literally prevent you from sitting still, into the gauzy My Bloody Valentine-esque "I L U" and "Babelonia."



The second half of the album moves at a slightly slower pace than the first five tracks, with the exception of "Camarilla" and "Bye Bye Bye." Not that there's anything wrong with that. The more introspective numbers such as "Dial" and "The Wait" are certainly standout tracks in their own right.

It's been a while since I've been obsessed with a new album and I'm glad to say that I finally found my summer fix. This album is well worth the listen. If I was pretentious enough to give this album a rating...I'd just be pretentious. Just take my word for it and give it a go. Until next time, stay educated and ahead of the curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment