Thursday, July 15, 2010

Rain On My Parade

As I mentioned in my first post, I think bands that look back through music history for inspiration have the right idea. This idea isn't new at all, I'm just saying I'm a fan of it. One of my most recent finds is an LA based band from the early 80's. The Rain Parade offers an album of sensible 1984 college pop-rock infused with the spirit of the 1960's, somewhere between The Byrds and The Beatles.


The doubly titled Emergency Third Rail Power Trip/Explosions In the Glass Palace is the soundtrack to a good 80's flick...even though I don't think they were ever placed in film. But you know what I'm talking about. It's good driving music. It's good chillin' music. It's just good. My criticisms of this album are few. In fact, I can only think of one worth mentioning. The opening track "Talking In My Sleep" is okay, but it is far surpassed by the second track "This Can't Be Today." The openers and closers of any album are the most crucial moments in an album's integrity because it's the first and last thing you hear. I tend to just skip the first track and pretend that number two is actually the opener on this one. You'll know what I mean if you check it out.

The band is no longer together, but they still have a myspace and you can find this album on iTunes and Amazon. You may know the lead guitarist of this band, David Roback, as the guitarist of Opal and one of my favorite 90's bands, Mazzy Star. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment